Thursday, March 1, 2018

February

After a wonderful hiatus in Virginia for family, holidays, and fundraising, I am back in Kansas for a five-month internship, ending in June. The month of February has been cold and challenging, but full of bright hours and big accomplishments.

One of my long-term tasks last semester was to scan 20 years worth of JFA response cards, volunteer agreements, debrief and reflection papers, and other papers from seminars and outreaches into the computer. It was supposed to take a year. David and I finished half of the project in the three months we were interning together in the fall of 2017. This month, I completed that project. It feels amazing to see that progress and now move on to other projects.


One of the most exciting things I was looking forward to doing with JFA was learning how to present parts of the seminar that we teach all over the country. This month, I was certified in one of those speaking sections and I'm working on memorizing a second one. I love public speaking and this material is incredibly helpful in conversations and life in general.


Adventures in February:

1/27 Meeting my host family's newest member: baby Brave
1/28 & 2/4 Swing dancing
2/11 Lunch with the Hotovys, Grace, and CK
2/15 Creating an intricate conspiracy story about the occupants of a local pub with Grace
2/18 Swing dancing

2/23 Final Friday: spending hours looking at local art with Grace
2/25 Visiting Jubilee PCA; lunch with new friends


On the 27th, Becca, Grace, and I set up a poll table at Oklahoma State University for two hours and talked to about 13 people. We were abruptly cut off by a downpour, but we had a lovely lunch and meeting with the pro-life club at OSU. I'm in the process of making another post for one of those conversations.

Looking forward to in March:
Hiking in Arkansas
Seminar and Outreach at KU
Progress in speaking certification

It's hard to close the chapter of February. I learned a lot about myself, my work, my colleagues. It was a good, hard month. March has its own adventures and I look forward to them, but I hope to remember this February for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment