Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Real Conversation at Purdue University: Persuasion

He was standing off to the side, studying the exhibit. I walked up and asked what he thought.

"I can't tell you what I think about abortion. My class is right over there. I'm about to do a lecture on persuasion. I don't want them to know what I think."

I asked his name and realized I was talking to a professor. We talked about his PhD program and the culture's general perception of abortion. I deeply wanted to discuss this controversial topic with him, but I couldn't see an open door. I asked, "Do you have any questions?" To my surprise, he did.

"What would you say is the strongest case against abortion?"

It was one of the widest doors I have ever been shown, so I entered without planning my next words.

"I believe the strongest case against abortion is science. Science says that life begins at conception, which makes abortion murder. We stand with science.
"But I also believe that you cannot be 'against' something without being 'for' something else. I am for women. I believe that the strongest case for life is the women who experience pregnancy. They are scared, they need help, and abortion does not provide that help. I have never met a post-abortive woman who did not eventually regret her abortion. My goal is to prevent that pain by offering her a loving alternative, supporting her through her pregnancy and the life of her child as far as she lets me help.
"The strongest case against abortion is science, but the strongest case for life is women. You can't have one without the other."

He accepted my answer, thanked me for my time, and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment