Wednesday, September 27, 2017

September

I've officially been in Wichita for one whole month, a third of my internship. That blows me away. I feel as though I just got here maybe two weeks ago. The month has flown by. And it's been better than I hoped.

Here are some of the highlights of September:
My host family, the DeJongs, are wonderful. They've welcomed me in with amazing hospitality. I attend their church, Heartland, and their small group has also made me feel at home here.

My first campus experience, complete with training workshop and one of the big exhibits, was extraordinary. The drive to and from Indiana and Kansas with my new team was hysterical and heart-warming. Getting to meet and work alongside Stephanie Gray was a huge blessing. The training is invaluable, and I'm running out of adjectives to describe the outreach. My favorite conversations from those two days on the Purdue campus are already in blog form, but the other 27 conversations have been running through my mind ever since, reminding me to pray for the people I talked to there.

Grace! Grace Fontenot took me under her wing immediately. We have bonded over cats, flowers, St. Peter, colors, dancing in every open space, and spontaneity. She is in JFA's 2-year internship after completing the 3-month internship last fall.

When I found out I would be coming to Wichita, I googled "Swing dance Wichita" and found the Wichita Swing Dance Society, which has been an incredible joy. I've made new friends, danced my feet off, and laughed freely most Sunday nights. I needed this and I appreciate it so much.

Random adventures: David (the other three-month intern) and I explored the Kansas State Fair (so very Kansan) two weeks ago; Grace introduced me to coffee shops and amazing bacon; we visited the Wichita Art Museum and the Gateway Arch; attended two concerts; even successfully navigated an escape room and laser tagging with Swing friends. So many adventures.

Looking forward:
October holds exciting opportunities in Minnesota, Oklahoma, and New Mexico among others. I can't wait to experience the full 5-hour training seminar and meet dozens of students.

The hard conversations ahead are daunting. The topics of abortion, euthanasia, assisted suicide, and infanticide are often raised and discussed as we attempt to understand and help those we come in contact with. The certification training program is preparing me for all kinds of conversations with all kinds of people.

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me. I've experienced good health, peace, and unending learning opportunities. God has been protecting me so much, from nightmares as well. I'm surrounded by men and women who share my passion and are guiding me graciously in this journey.

God led me with a strong hand through this first month and I can't wait to see Him work through these next two months.



2 comments:

  1. Also paragraph 6 because our first time at Bricktown and getting coffee ahhhhhh

    ReplyDelete